Maps from the 16th, 17th 18th Century
Great Bradley Map of 1575
Great Bradley Map of 1603- 1605
The map is from Map of Suffolk from Pieter Van den Keere's miniature County Atlas of the British Isles, dating from c.1603-10. Van den Keere was a refugee who came to England, with his sister, to escape religious persecution in the Low Countries between 1570-1590. After their arrival Van den Keere's sister married the map maker Jodocus Hondius, a fellow refugee, and it is likely that it was from his brother in law that Van den Keere then learnt cartography and engraving. This atlas contains maps of the English and Welsh counties, the regions of Scotland and the Irish provinces. The maps of England and Wales were based on those of Christopher Saxton who had published an atlas in 1579.
The colour picture is taken from the British Museum collection and the black and white is image is a close up. Little Bradley is shown as Bradley pva
To see a larger image click here
Great Bradley Map of 1610
Great Bradley Map of 1646 -1666
Amsterdam, Blaeu, J. & G. 1646-66 [38,2 x 50,2 cm]
Copper-engraving, hand coloured in outline, when published. A fine and highly decorative map of Suffolk in England by the famous Dutch cartographer Blaeu. This English county map of Suffolk is highly decorative with its figurative and allegoric title cartouche, as well the map is decorated with heraldic family coats of arms. More over we find as an additional decoration ships in the German Sea. On the map itself are many place names given, smaller villages or settlements also appear, also rivers, lakes, mountains and woods are also engraved.
In excellent condition. Full margins, paper slightly toned. Koaman Atlanten Neerlandici Vol II / 5290:2
Great Bradley Map of 1637
William Kip, 1637
CAMBRIDGE COMITATUS QUEM OLIM ICENI INSEDERUNT
An early map of the county engraved by William Kip after the survey by Christopher Saxton. Embellished with a decorative title cartouche. Scale with a pair of dividers. 12 3/4 x 11 1/4 inches. Hand coloured. Small slit at the bottom of the centre fold otherwise good condition. From: Camden's Britannia
Bradley is shown
Great Bradley Map 1719
That he was prosperous and a promising young man is evidenced by his marriage in 1679 to Mary, daughter of Richard Stamp, merchant, of The City and of Reading, and niece of the Thomas Stamp who became Lord Mayor in 1691.
The green triangle at the centre of the map is known as Pound Green and is now the junction of Evergreen Lane and The Street opposite Yew Tree Cottage. Only a few buildings are shown on this map.
To see the whole map and view a detailed copy click here
Great Bradley Map of 1767
To view the whole map in detail click here
Great Bradley Map of 1787
Great Bradley Map 1783
Joseph Hodskinson’s map of Suffolk, published in 1783, was one of a large series of English County maps produced in the second half of the 18th century by entrepreneurial surveyors, engravers and cartographic publishers.
Printed usually at a scale of one inch to the mile, these maps were often the first serious attempt to record English topographical detail, using improved surveying techniques and instruments. Many of the maps are historically important in that they were surveyed just before Parliamentary Enclosure irrevocably changed the rural landscape. Hodskinson’s Suffolk map is particularly unusual in that it was awarded a coveted gold medal by what came to be known as the Royal Society of Arts.
For Great Bradley, it shows the location of a post mill and the location and tracks joing some lost farm buildings at Ever Green, at end of Ever Green Lane and at Long Acre near Kirtling. For a more detailed image click here